Friday, November 4, 2011

Literally, the morning of our drive to Tuscany, I get a call from my friend Erin who's husband JUST drove there. He was telling her that the road he drove in on is NO LONGER THERE! Scary. So since she knew we were going, she called to check that we had mapped it out and we were going to be driving on a road that did still exist. Well, that was the first I had heard of the mudslides in Italy. I read the news. Daily. And I never heard anything about it. So I tell A and also go home and look for myself. Sure enough. Mudslides. Livorno and what? Cinque Terre. NOOOO.

I think it's a little weird that we could only find little about it, but here are a few pictures. And an article.

Thankfully, our route was not through the area destroyed and it did not mess up our trip at all, or E and K's, who were originally thinking about going to CT. In Como, when we were watching the news, it was ALLLL ABOUUTTTT the mudslides, no other news shown, but again, we're home, and not a word. Supposedly, a few of the towns in CT are messed up and Monterrosso is completely destoryed. Makes me very very said.. that was our favorite spot. When we were in Riva talking to my old RA Daniela, she said it is a common problem in Italy because the Italians like to build where they should not. But that's the only local opinion I heard on the matter.

Either way, if you haven't been to Cinque Terre, sadly, you may have missed your chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment