Thursday, February 23, 2012

Fasching

The Germans take their holidays seriously, especially the Catholic holidays. The end of last week/beginning of this week was Fasching, known in other countries as Carnival/Karnevale.

Donnerstag/Thursday: Old Women Day
Montag/Monday: Rose Monday
Tuesday/Dienstag: Fat Tuesday
Wednesday/MIttwoch: Ash Wednesday

Thursday through Wednesday, the Germans were out of school and most, out of work. When I got home from the gym on Thursday afternoon, swarms of kids were running around Kasel. This is typical for the nicer seasons, but not as much in Winter. Thursday was different though because it was a holidays. All the kids were dressed up and carrying bags filled with goodies (almost like Halloween, but during the day and not all candy - granola bars, crackers, stuff like that). They went from door to door singing a song (I don't know what it was?) and getting treats. Of course, I didn't know this was commonplace so I had no treats and disappointed the two large groups of kids that knocked on my door (one group of kids ages ranging from 2-7, the other 8-11). On Monday, there was a celebration and parade in Ruwer, the neighboring town. I wasn't planning on going, but Justin and his family knocked on my door on their way down to the party, so I went with. I was one of the few not dressed up for the occassion - most adults were dressed up. Lots of beer and German food - it is a holiday afterall, so Justin and I shared some pommes mit mayo :) Unfortunately, the party was mid-day so A missed it. In the years past, we have celebrated Fasching with friends, gone out, dressed up, but not this year. Maybe next!


First Day of Fasching, Donnerstag - This is the infamous Justin. I of course didn't get my phone out in time to take pictures of all the other cute kids, but Justin stuck around to sing the song AGAIN and pet the pups! Justin, along with his siblings and Grandma, live at the end of our street and walk by our house at least 4 times a day, often times more. Justin and Nina (the other 2 are too young) stop every time, come up on the porch and talk to the dogs and me and pet the pups. When they see Boston and Riva, no matter how far away, they scream their names. It is ADORABLE. They call Boston, Bos. I wish you could hear them say it, it is just adorable. And they call me, Ka-Zee. No English, of course, but since they are young, they speak slowly and pronounce things fully so we can usually understand everything they say!


In other Rapalje news, we officially told Axel that we're moving, so I guess that makes it official. Charleston Bound in June. A is in Greece today (lucky!). We are having sushi night at our house on Friday, which I am STOKED about. The sushi we made was THAT good :) We are heading to a new Farmers Market on Saturday morning in France which supposedly has an awesome selection of cheese (which we aren't eating!) and wine! And I got invited to walk with the Kaselite ladies in the mornings with the pups :) I love having neighbors that we like.

And rapalje.recently in pictures...


Birthday Flowers + some amazing smelling Hyacinths!


Our Fat Tuesday Celebration: Belgian Beer! A went to the Netherlands the other day for work and brought me back my FAVORITE Belgian Beer! He also picked himself up some Deliriums and more...What a guy :)


On one of my many walks with the dogs, I found this frozen set of stairs! Just thought it was crazy!


This was the best thing we ate in Turkey: Turkish Pizza. Basically just delicious crust and cheese... no sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment