Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Deutsch Salat

Apparently this is my, I miss Germany week. We have been living in America for 2 months (is that it?!) and I miss Germany more and more every day.. and I'm not the only one. 

I've said it before, but there are ONLY chains here in Beavercreek/Dayton, Ohio area. It is DEPRESSING. Especially when going from no chains restaurants in Germany. One of the foods I miss most (and this may seem surprisingy) are the amazingly delicious and uber-fresh German salad. Salad?! Yes! Salad! 

Salads in Germany all have the same dressing. Surprisingly, this is not boring. Nor does it get boring... ever. It's this delicious yogurt-y, dill-y, never on the side, healthy at the same time, dressing. 

Salads in Germany are topped of only fresh ingredients, what's in season. What a concept!! 

Salads in Germany are sometimes filled with surprises. Those are my favorites. The salad is brought to your table and looks like plain, dressing covered lettuce, then you move it around a little with your fork and underneath, all sorts of delicious surprises. I love that!

Salads in Germany are ALWAYS served with sauerkraut. And I love me some sauerkraut.
They also are served with these shredded pickled carrots. Waaaay better than regular carrots.
And red cabbage. Always a good addition. 
Besides that, the veggies vary based on season. 


Salat in dt Trier at the Wirsthaus - with a side of fresh bread and a huge mama 'stuck' or piece of goat cheese. Ohhh man. Germany has the best goat cheese.. ever! Speaking of, we've tried 3+ different kinds here... nope, not as good. Just one more reason we need to move back ASAP.


Salat mit Gambis und pommes... at one of my favorite places a short bike ride from our house. If we were in town, this was our Sunday bike ride lunch. Mmmm.


Salads in Trier. Not sure where this was, but it was good, can't you tell?! 

Of course, I didn't get a picture of the salads at the Schnitzelstube. Darn. Those were delish. And down the street from our house. Perfection. 

Ok, now that I'm hungry at 8:15 in the morning for a German salad that is impossible for me to have, well, I should stop writing about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment